Later edit: GPass has not been updated for a long time (the last update was released in 2008). You should check some VPN services like HideMyAss, ibVPN, ExpressVPN, PureVPN, PrivateInternetAccess or NordVPN.
GPass is free software used mainly to circumvent censorship in several countries like China, Pakistan, etc. This excellent software can also be used as a free solution to hide your IP.
How does GPass work?
The main idea of this application is to wrap the Internet traffic in various formats and tunnels and then sent packets to its servers. The servers unwrap the packets and forward them to their destination on your behalf, yet they hide your identity (i.e., IP address).
I have selected a list of the pros and cons of this hide IP solution. Here they are:
- It is portable, and it does not need installation. You need to store GPass.exe in a folder, a flash drive, or a CDROM and double-click it to start it.
- It supports streaming audio/video, email, instant messaging, download managers, etc.
- Servers are fast.
- Encrypts all web communication
- It supports Skype and Tor channels
- Easy to upgrade
- There are only a limited number of servers available
- You can not select the country for your cover IP.
- You will always be shown from the US.
Here are the steps you have to follow if you decide to try it:
- Download GPass from
- Start it.
- Select the fastest available server from the available servers
- Double Click on Default Browser
- Check your IP address
- Start browsing
- Enjoy! 🙂
Do you use Gpass yourself for your free anonymous surfing?
We have received the following questions from Larry:
1. Do you use Gpass yourself for your free anonymous surfing ?
2. Do you use or can you recommend any very good paid anonymous proxy server services that actually work, I’ve tested a few myself that do not work, the latest version of Anonymizer just don’t work at all.
3. Have you done any research on other forms of anonymizing yourself, such as vpn tunneling?
Larry, here are the answers to your questions:
1. Yes, we are using Gpass and we are somehow satisfied with the results. See the pros and the cons that we have identified / considered about downloading Gpass. Overall is one of the best free solutions available on the Internet.
2. We have been evaluation several paid solutions and you can find our comments on this blog. Lately we have found out Hide-IP-Browser which is a great application (unfortunately is just version 1.0 – which means that is not that stable as other applications) that can hide your IP easily. We will post a review about this application soon on the blog.
The pros for Hide-Ip-Browser are: you can select the country for the proxy, you can even select the location (which is a great feature), the proxy speed is very good.
The cons are: it is a browser itself so you cannot use it with other browsers, it is version 1.0 which means that some small problems (I guess they are bugs) still appear. Overall we think that this is the most promicing application that we have tested.
And yes – we have tested the latest version of Anonymizer and we can confirm that is not working well at all. We will write a post about this topic on the blog as well.
Also, don’t forget to check the existing list of recommended hide ip tools.
3. Regarding the VPN tunneling – we are using this technology as well and in fact we will post a few reviews on the blog (ibVPN review, PIA review, ZenMate review). The main cons in this case is the fact that is a more expensive technology. The pros is the fact that most of the applications work with VPN and the download speed is good even for P2P/torrents.
To all, feel free to contact us with questions and suggestions on privacy issues.
Do you use GPass? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.