JanusVM is a software that uses VMware and Tor network to allow you to surf the Internet without oppression or censorship while protecting your privacy, security, and identity. It uses Tor to hide your IP address and re-route your traffic around the internet anonymously. Even DNS requests are passed through Tor, so even your ISP doesn’t know what website you are looking at.
JanusVM main features
Here are some additional features of JanusVM:
- Works with WiFi.
- Support multiple users on a LAN.
- Protects you from most man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Protects your identity and your exact location by masking your IP Address.
- Encrypts and re-routes your DNS request and ALL TCP traffic to ensure strong privacy.
- Strips out most privacy-sensitive information your web browser may leak.
- Blocks popups, annoying ads, banners, and other obnoxious Internet junk.
- Very simple setup and operation.
- Works transparently for applications using TCP. (No UDP or ICMP support
The setup is very easy. Just download and install VMWare player, then download JanusVM. Once you have the VM player installed, then you can open it and load the JanusVM application (a .vmx file). Then JanusVM sets up Tor and Privoxy.
The next step is to enter into the Run window the path JanusVM will give you. It should look something similar to \\10.0.2.15\Setup\Run.bat
Of course, the IP shown to you may be different. An icon will appear on your desktop called “JanusVM VPN” after the run.bat file finishes running, then Janus will give you a set of choices.
- Show IP information
- Configure IP information
- Configure Anonymity + Privacy
- Check For Updates
You should first choose “Configure Anonymity + Privacy.” Janus will give you a list of privacy configuration, pick the one that says “Anonymous.” Janus will restart TOR and Privoxy and then your set.
How does it work?
JanusVM is powered by VMware, built on the Linux 2.6.14 kernel, and brings together OpenVPN, Squid, Privoxy, and Tor, to give you a transparent layer of security and privacy that is compatible with all your TCP based applications.
If you like JanusVM and decide to keep it running on your computer, you may consider giving a small donation to the developer.
JanusPA: Tor Hardware Privacy Adapter
The Janus team has published a preview of their JanusPA, plug-n-play, hardware Privacy Adapter. After four months of work, they are almost ready to release this interesting adapter.
In the next few weeks, they will work on the documentation, software requirements, staging the built environment, compiling the code, etc. and then JanusPA will be ready to hit the market. I am curious how much it will cost.
What is JanusPA?
JanusPA is a small router that anonymizes all your traffic via the Tor network.
How to make it work?
Steps to make it functional:
- Connect the adapter to your PC or network switch
- Next, connect the adapter to your Cable/DSL modem or router
- Connect the power to the adapter and wait for about 60 seconds.
The result: everything that passes through this adapter is going through the Tor network or your VPN tunnel. So, your real IP will never be shown, regardless of the application you are using!