JanusVM is a software that uses VMware and Tor network to allow you surf the Internet without oppression or censorship, while protecting your privacy, security, and identity. It uses Tor to hide your IP address and re-route your traffic around the internet anonymously. Even DNS requests are passed through Tor so even your ISP doesn’t know what web site you are looking at.
JanusVM main features
Here are some additional features of JanusVM:
- Works with WiFi.
- Support multiple users in a LAN.
- Protects you from most man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Protects your identity and your true location by masking your IP Address.
- Encrypts and re-routes your DNS request and ALL TCP traffic to ensure strong privacy.
- Strips out most privacy sensitive information your web browser may leak.
- Blocks popups, annoying ads, banners, and other obnoxious Internet junk.
- Very simple setup and operation.
- Works transparently for applications using TCP. (No UDP or ICMP support
The setup is very easy. Just download and install VMWare player, then download JanusVM. Once you have the VM player installed then you can open it and load the JanusVM application (a .vmx file). Then JanusVM sets up Tor and Privoxy.
The next step is to enter into the Run window the path JanusVM will give you. It should look something similar to: \\10.0.2.15\Setup\Run.bat
Of course, the IP shown to you may be different. An icon will appear on your desktop called “JanusVM VPN” after the run.bat file finishes running, then Janus will give you a set of choices.
- Show IP information
- Configure IP information
- Configure Anonymity + Privacy
- Check For Updates
You should first choose “Configure Anonymity + Privacy” . Janus will give you a list of privacy configuration, pick the one that says “Anonymous”. Janus will restart TOR and Privoxy and then your set.
How does it work?
JanusVM is powered by VMware, built on the Linux 2.6.14 kernel, and brings together openVPN, Squid, Privoxy, and Tor, to give you a transparent layer of security and privacy that is compatible with all your TCP based applications.
If you like JanusVM and decide to keep it running on your computer, you may consider giving a small donation to the developer.