If you got yourself a Kindle and you are located outside of United States, you will find that you are not able to download the Kindle app or to purchase some of the ebooks from the Kindle store. Learn how to unlock Kindle app.
How to unlock Kindle app
Here’s what you need to do to unlock the Kindle app from outside the US.
1. Go to Amazon.com and create an account (if you do not have an Amazon account yet).
2. Go to Manage your Kindle page and click the Country Settings at the left bottom corner.
3. Change the country selected to the United States.
4. Change the address to a US-based address. If you need the Amazon account only for purchasing and downloading ebooks (and not buying physical products), it is better to make this change. Just Google for “USA address” and you will find plenty of online services that can provide you with a free US-based address.
5. Next, register your credit card details. It doesn’t have to be a US-based credit card, as long as it is valid.
6. You should now be able to purchase and download ebooks from Kindle store.
There is more: use a US VPN service
Important! When you are purchasing ebooks, make sure you connect to the Kindle app store using a US VPN service, as Amazon checks the location of the IP address. We highly recommend two quality services: HideMyAss and ibVPN. If you know or use other providers please let us know in the comments below.
Enjoy your Kindle!
Update: One of the blog readers suggested the followings: if you are not tied to USA products you can access the amazon.co.uk Kindle store, that does not require UK physical address or IP. I have not tested myself, but it may work. Thank you, Paul, for the tip!