Changing your IP address in Internet Explorer is very simple. You need to modify the browser settings such that IE redirects the Internet traffic through a proxy. An alternative solution to change IP Internet Explorer is by using a VPN service.
Check your visible IP address
Firstly, check your real IP address. You will see how websites see your IP address and how do they determine your location.
Find a proxy
Then you have to find a proxy (a new IP address to be shown when you visit websites). To do this go for example to SamAir List (also check our list of proxy sites) and choose a proxy from any country you want:
After you have chosen the proxy, you can start configuring your Internet Explorer to change your IP address.
Here are the steps:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Go to Tools -> Internet Options:
- Choose the Connections tab and press the LAN Settings button:
- In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window, check to Use a proxy server for your LAN:
- In the same window fill in the Address and the Port is taken from the above proxy list (e.g., 188.8.131.52: 80 where the IP address of the proxy is 184.108.40.206 and the port is 80):
- Press Ok and then Ok again and you are done.
After the configuration is completed check your new IP address and you make sure it is different from the initial IP address. You can now browse anonymously.
Important! After you are done with your activities under hidden IP, do not forget to uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN. These proxies have a limited lifetime and usually slow down your internet connection. So use them only when you need!
VPN = Proxy alternative to change IP Internet Explorer
Most of the time the speed provided by proxies is quite low. Therefore, you may consider VPN services as an excellent alternative to change IP Internet Explorer. They are more expensive but also more reliable and faster. Also, there is a significant difference. Unlike proxies that are set up in the browser, VPNs change the IP for all application running on the device (including other browsers, email clients, torrent clients, etc.).