Activate Google Voice Outside USA – You have probably heard about Google Voice and you were curious to test this new and exciting service. The first step is to get an invite. After a while (more then a week) you’ll get an email from Google saying that you were accepted to use Google Voice. There is also a notice to the bottom of the email saying:
Please note that Google Voice is only available for sign up in the US.
And, if you click on the activation link you get the following message:
This means that if you are leaving outside US you have to use a trick to activate your account.
How to activate Google Voice outside USA
Here are the steps necessary to activate your Google Voice account:
- Get a free USA incoming number as described here.
- Use HideMyAss, ibVPN, HideIPVPN, Hotspot Shield or Ultrasurf to get a US IP address. An US IP address is an IP address that is allocated by an ISP from United States to US residential homes or US data centers. The services mentioned above simply rent servers in data centers located in US and then offer access via VPN or proxy technology.
- Next, delete your cookies and open the Google Voice invite activation link in your web-browser.
- Login using your Google account and you follow the first step to choose a number.
- Then you will now need to enter a PIN code.
- During step 3 you will get prompted for a USA phone number where you can receive the call and confirm your account. Enter the free US phone number you reserved by following the steps described here.
- Click Call Me Now and you will receive the call on your desktop Sipgate softphone.
- Press the “Accept” button.
- Then activate the Keypad/Dialpad and enter your confirmation code the two digit confirmation code from Step 6 above.
- And … you were able activate Google Voice outside USA.