In the last days, the Internet was invaded by news/tutorials/howtos on the Google Phone (aka Nexus One). It looks like Nexusmania is on its way. 🙂 Now, if you want to have such a phone and you are leaving outside US, UK, Hong Kong or Singapore you’ll found out that “Nexus One phone is not available in your country“. The good news is that there is still hope to get your Nexus One, thanks to Gamaze. However, you have to pay the additional shipping cost for that. Learn how to get Nexus One outside US or UK.
Here is what you have to do:
- Get access to the ordering process by downloading and installing the free Hotspot Shield, in order to protect your location and IP address so that Google’s web store won’t block you out from the ordering process. You may do this by using any other VPN service that provides access to US servers.
- Sign up for a US-based shipping address at MyUSABox.com. This is free but they charge amount of US $5 for registering and will be credited to you when you use the service for the first time.
- Sign up for a Google Checkout account. If you already have a Google / Gmail account, you can add that easily through your Google account settings. Note that you can use any international shipping address and credit card for this purpose, it does not have to be the MyUSABox address you just signed up for.
- Order your personal Nexus One phone by pointing your browser to http://www.google.com/phone. Please make sure you opt for the SIM-free phone at $529 + sales tax. Also, make sure you enter the MyUSAbox shipping address and Google Account billing address to the order.
- Wait for your Nexus One phone to arrive at MyUSABox. You should get notified by email as soon as it arrives unless your e-mail spam filters are too tight.
- Log in to MyUSABox and forward your box to your home address, it should arrive within a few days.
Unfortunately, you have to pay the additional shipping cost but it should be reasonable if you really want to try out the new phone from HTC and Google. For Gamaze guy that wrote this tutorial, shipping was $49 to EU (including re-packaging), giving a total price of $625 (~€435) for the whole adventure.