If you are leaving in US or UK and you travel abroad you may face some problems when trying to access some sites you usually do from your home. There are a lot of sites that are accessible only to US/UK users. As US/UK citizen you may not be aware of this, but when you travel abroad you realize that you simply are not able to access sites like Hulu, Pandora, Veoh, Spotify, BBC iPlayer, etc. Learn how to build your own VPN network.
The solution: bypass the restrictions from your current location. You may do this by:
- Using a hide IP tool that changes your IP address to a United States or United Kingdom IP.
- Subscribing to a VPN service that provides access to a US/UK server
- Connecting to your home computer via VPN and access the Internet as you were home. The elegant, safe and cheap solution as you don’t have to pay anything. So let’s see how this can be done.
How To Build Your Own VPN Network
So you want to create a VPN network of your own? Well, here are a few facts and guidelines to help you out either way.
First, the basics. VPN or Virtual Private Network is a network that is constructed by using public wires to connect nodes. This type of network provides a secure and remote access to another enterprise network. If you make a VPN connection of your own, this enterprise network would be yours. The ownership of the network will be public, but since security wise, private considerations are prioritized, this type of network provides a safe and secure connection. You will be able to access your own computer from anywhere on the internet like as if you were on your own network.
You can create your own Virtual Private Network using a number of systems and software, some of which will be discussed here. One of the most popularly used methods is via Hamachi (aka LogMeIn) setup. I will show how to setup Hamachi on your home computer and then how to access it from a remote location.
How To Setup Hamachi/LogMeIn On Your Home Computer
Here are the steps you need to perform:
- Go to https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/
- Click on Download button (Download PC version or Download Mac version)
- Create a user account. You need to provide an email address and a password.
- Activate your account from your email. A link is sent to you by email. Just click on it and your account is activated.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on Add this computer
- Download and install LogMeIn. Click on Install LogMeIn button.
- You may get a security warning. Just click Run.
- The process of the installation on this software started. Press Next and accept the terms. Next, choose the typical installation.
- Choose a description for your home computer
- In order to be able to access the computer anytime make sure the following options is checked. (It may not be shown for you!)
- Choose the installation folder. You can keep it on C:\Program Files\LogMeIn. Click Next.
- LogMeIn service will be then installed. You may experience some flickering and black screens. Don’t worry! It’s normal.
- After the setup is finished, you are done!
How To Access Your Home Computer From Remote Location
One the installation done, you login back to the LogMeIn website, you will see your computer with the description.
When you need to access your home computer from a remote location you need to login to your LogMeIn account and click on Remote Control below your computer description.
You will be redirected to a page where you will be required to click ‘Install ActiveX Control…’ from the dropdown. Then click ‘Install’ when the security warning pops up.
Voila! Your new VPN is ready! 🙂
In the browser, you will be required to enter your Windows username and password (the credentials you are using to login to your home computer).
Then, you will be able to control your home computer. In order to access restricted sites like Hulu or BBC iPlayer you just need to open a browser and get started as you were home.