After testing the new Ultrasurf release (version 9.2) and reading the comments on my previous post, UltraSurf – Ultra Easy To Hide Your IP, I’ve decided to update the list of pros and cons for this great hide IP solution.
Ultrasurf is a friendly Windows application that is used to browse the Web securely and privately. It connects to proxy servers and creates proxy tunnels that redirect the Internet traffic through the proxies. Thus, Ultrasurf hides the IP address of the source computer and exposes the IP address of the proxy server.
It is important to underline that, unlike VPNs, proxies do not encrypt the traffic. VPN services use encryption to secure the traffic. So, if security is important to you, you should take a look to top VPN providers like HideMyAss, ibVPN, ExpressVPN, VyprVPN or PrivateInternetAccess.
Ultrasurf 9.2 Pros
- It is FREE!
- It hides your IP address
- Simple and easy to use interface, suitable for beginners. No user guide needed.
- It provides fast proxies
- It can be used by any application that can be configured to use a proxy; just set localhost (127.0.0.1) and port 9666 (thx David K and aswin for letting me know)
- An add-on is available for download for Firefox users
- It includes delete browser history and deletes cookies features
- It is much faster than 8.9
Ultrasurf 9.2 Cons
- The proxies are from the US only (you can not change the country or the proxy location)
- Only in English user interface is available
To sum up, Ultrasurf is a great hide IP software, the only significant drawback that I see for now is the fact that the user can not choose the proxy to use or to change the country. You have also take into consideration that it does not encrypt your traffic and try a VPN service.
Have you used Ultrasurf? Post a comment and let us know what you think about it!
Happy and safe surfing!