Here is a quick guide on how to find the IP address of an email sender. This is useful if someone is harassing you via email, flooding your inbox with junk mail or any other reason you may have to find the location of the email sender. Learn how to find IP address email sender.
After you find out the IP address of the sender you just have to use a location lookup service to find the exact location (country, city, etc) of the sender. You should also read: Tracking the location of an IP address.
Now, let’s see how to find the email sender if you are using Google Mail.
How to Find the IP Address of the Email Sender in Gmail
Important! You will not be able to find the real IP address if the sender uses an anonymous proxy server.
Find the IP address of an email sender
Here is what you have to do to get the IP address of an email sender in Gmail:
- Login to your Gmail account using your username and password
- Open the email for which you want to find out the sender’s IP address
- Click on the inverted triangle beside Reply. Select Show Orginal.
- Look for Received: from followed by the IP address between square brackets [ ].Received: from 22.214.171.124 [126.96.36.199] by mx250o.mysite4now.com with SMTP;
- If you find more than one Received: from patterns, select the last one.
- Find the exact location of the sender by using XMyIP.com.
How to Find the IP Address of the Email Sender in Yahoo! Mail
Here is what you have to do to get the IP address of an email sender in Yahoo! Mail:
1. Log into your Yahoo! Mail
2. Click on Inbox or any folder where you have stored your mail.
3. Open the mail
4. In the top right region where the content of the email is shown, you’ll see there is a drop-down option where Standard Header or Compact Header is selected by default.
5. Click on it and choose Full Header.
6. Finally, you can identify the IP address of the sender near “Received from:“.
How to Find the IP Address of the Email Sender in Microsoft Outlook
Here is what you have to do to get the IP address of an email sender in Microsoft Outlook:
1. Start Microsoft Outlook
2. Open a message (Double click on message header in order to open it in a window)
3. On the View menu, click Options
4. Under the Delivery options in the Internet Headers box, you can see the mail header information.
Read the email headers in Microsoft Outlook
In order to determine the IP address of the sender, you have to take a look to the Received: Headers.
These Headers Received Headers have the following format:
Received: from [computer name and/or IP address from sender]
by [server name] (maybe Internet protocol too); date.
Received: from 088156106043.stk.vectranet.pl [188.8.131.52] by web41013.mail.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 21 Jul 2008 03:44:26 -0700
This means that the server web41013.mail.yahoo.com received the message from the IP address 184.108.40.206 on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 03:44:26 -0700 via SMTP.
Get more info on the IP address
Then, after you find out the IP address of the sender you just have to use a location lookup service (e.g. XMyIP) to find the exact location (country, city, etc) of the sender.
It’s that simple! Do you have questions, comments, or suggestions? Post a comment!