Hide My IP is one of the leading solutions when it comes to anonymous browsing. Its simple interface and effectiveness are impressive. This post presents the main features of Hide My IP and highlights several pros and cons.
HideMyIP main features
- Hides your identity while using E-mail clients, chat clients, games, and more
- Protects your identity from hackers – Identity thieves can use your IP addresses to compromise your computer. Installing keyloggers, Trojans, and other tools to aid their crime. You can stop them at the source by hiding your IP!
- Sends anonymous emails by hiding your IP in E-mail headers. Supports Webmail services like Yahoo, Hotmail, and GMail.
- Provides automatic browser configuration – It works with all major browsers.
How to use Hide My IP
First, you have to go to Hide My IP site and then download the product. If you are using an anti-virus solution it is possible to get a warning message after installation. You’ll need to restart the computer.
When Hide My IP starts you get a very simple interface where you can:
- Hide your IP by clicking Hide My IP button
- Set your IP to be changed every X minutes
- Clear cookies when the IP is changed
- Require US IP address (only US-based IPs are provided)
- Encrypt your connection
Also, don’t miss the Advanced Settings if you are interested in hiding your user agent and referrer header.
HideMyIP Levels of Access
The full version of Hide My IP offers 3 levels of access to the IP addresses above the demo/trial version of the software:
- Basic IP Service: Your one-time payment for Hide My IP gives you free, lifetime access to these IP’s
- Standard IP Service: free access for the first year of your ownership of Hide My IP. It can be renewed after each year.
- Premium Service: which is a subscription service that can be paid by the month; by the quarter year or half year or full year
The Standard IP Service gives you access to our IP addresses from the United States and around the world. When access to the Standard IP Service expires one year after your date of purchase, you will continue to have free use of our IP’s through the Basic Service.
With the Premium Service, you may select your desired location as either the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, or Germany, use the same IP each time you run Hide My IP, and hide your IP with E-mail clients, Instant Messengers, games, and more!
How to Watch BBC iPlayer Using Hide-My-IP
With Hide My IP you can easily overcome this problem and watch your favorite shows on BBC iPlayer. The first thing you should do is to download and install Hide My IP.
The next step is to Start Hiding IP and find a suitable proxy to be able to unlock BBC iPlayer. To do this you have to press the Refresh button several times until you get a UK IP address.
Then, reload BBC iPlayer and start watching your favorite show. Simple, isn’t it?
Hide My IP Pros and Cons
- It hides your IP address in one click (Select Invisible or Secure)
- Simple and easy to use UI. Suitable for beginners. No user guide needed.
- It can encrypt your traffic
- It provides fast proxies
- It works with all browsers tested: Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, and Safari. No need for manual configuration.
- It can be used for sending emails anonymously.
- You can not choose the location of the proxy. For example, if you need a UK IP you need to request a new IP several IPs until you get the one you need.
If for some reasons, the HideMyIP app does not work for you there is always an alternative. There are plenty of VPN services that offer access to UK servers and that can unblock BBC iPlayer from the outside UK. Here are some of them:
Proxy, VPN or SmartDNS?
HideMyIP uses proxies to change your IP and unblock BBC iPlayer. As presented above you may get the same result by using VPN services. Or, you may try SmartDNS services. Basically, they all unblock iPlayer but the connection speed may be different. Most of the time SmartDNS works best, but it may depend on your Internet connection.
What do you think about “Hide My IP”? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.