A lot of techie end-users use Mac instead of a Windows PC these days. Being an avid Mac user myself, I wonder exactly how can I set up my Macintosh laptop to make use of VPN today. Learn about Mac VPN.
Virtual private network (VPN) as we know it is a close-knit network employed in most businesses as the main server to send and receive data securely on the web. When you have successfully set up the entire server, connecting to your Mac computer can be accomplished easily. So, now the question boils down to ‘how exactly would you set up your Mac to a VPN?’ In this post, I will show you exactly how.
How to set up a Mac VPN?
You Macintosh OS is known as Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) has an inbuilt setup configuration for you to be able to connect to a VPN. All you have to do is to configure your network settings inside your ‘System Preferences’ and add the specific VPN to your list of available connections and you are good to go.
For a step by step guide on how to connect your MacBook to a VPN, here’s how:
- Look for that Apple logo situated in the top leftmost corner of your Macbook screen. Click on the ‘System Preferences’ link and then click ‘Network’ next.
- After that, look for the “+” symbol found inside the ‘Network’ window. By clicking on the icon, you will be capable of adding a new network connection. At the interface panel, choose “VPN” from the menu options. At the ‘VPN Type,’ go for the menu selection for those settings that’ll suit your needs. Key in the name for the connection you just added at the ‘Service Name’ and finally, click on the ‘Create’ link.
- Once you have added the VPN of your own choosing into your network connections, type the appropriate server address for your VPN at the ‘Server Address’ within the Network. Next, provide your own network credentials in the fields provided and then click ‘Authentication Settings’ to verify your connection.
- Choose either ‘Certificate’ or ‘Share Secret’ at the ‘Machine Authentication’ section. The entire settings will have to depend on the type of network you intend to employ. Then, provide your password, and put the name of your network group at the ‘Group Name’ field. Lastly, click ‘OK.’
- Go to ‘Show VPN Status In Menu Bar’ to pick it and click on ‘Apply.’ Close the ‘System Preferences’ window. You will then see the VPN icon on your taskbar across the top of your MacBook’s screen. ‘Connect (VPN name),’ and this will subsequently display the name you have provided for the network connection. Type in your account credentials and then click on ‘OK’ to finally connect to the desired network.
Now that you are connected, you may at this juncture surf the web in complete anonymity. Enjoy safe browsing from your Mac starting today.
Are you looking for VPN service that works on Mac? Here is a good list of Mac VPN providers: