GhostSurf is a tool that provides an anonymous Internet connection to let you surf the Web invisibly. It does not only hide your IP address but also erases all of your Internet tracks, items such as your Web history, cache, clipboard, and cookies.
- Surf Anonymously – An intuitive slider bar allows you choose your privacy settings.
- Prevent Identity Theft – GhostSurf masks your IP and keeps you invisible on the Internet. An IP address can convey a lot of information about you, even who you are and where you live.
- Encrypt Your Data – Three levels of private surfing allow you to control what information leaves your computer and who gets to see it. At the highest level, browsing is fully-encrypted-your surfing is completely invisible no matter where you go on the Web.
- Erase Your Tracks – GhostSurf removes items like Web history, cache, clipboard, and cookies. You can also customize GhostSurf to clear instant messaging logs, playlist and history from multimedia applications, even online search history.
How to use GhostSurf
Firstly, download GhostSurf and install it on your computer. The installation process is very simple, so you probably won’t encounter any problems. Then you will be invited to take a tour of the product. I advise you to do that.
Then the main window will be shown and you be able to choose between four levels of anonymity:
- Normal – Your anonymity is not protected.
- Anonymous – Cookies are blocked. Websites can’t track you.
- Invisible – Cookies are blocked, and your data is routed through anonymous hubs (hiding your IP address)
- Secure – Cookies and your IP are blocked, and all data is encrypted to prevent spying.
To ensure your anonymity I suggest using Invisible or Secure mode. In order to check your IP address is hidden go to XMyIP.com. It should show an IP address of the form 66.139.*.*, which is a US IP address.
- It hides your IP address in one click (Select Invisible or Secure)
- Easy to use interface, suitable for beginners
- It provides several levels of anonymity
- It includes delete browser history and deletes cookies features
- It supports instant messengers, newsgroups feeds and popular chat programs
- It has a long trial period (15 days)
- You have to manually set up your browser if you are using another browser than Internet Explorer
- The proxy or proxies are from the US only (you can not change the country or the proxy location)
- The proxy is already banned by several sites
- Not very suitable for advanced users. For example, you can not choose the proxy to use or add your own proxy.
I have my reserves regarding GhostSurf as it seems that was not updated for several years (the latest version dates from 2005) and also the proxy that it is used is banned/blocked by several sites, but I think GhostSurf may be a useful tool to browse anonymously and ensure your privacy.
GhostSurf is available for $29.95 (1 Year Service) or $49.90 (2 Years Service).